Alternative Dispute Resolution
What is Alternative Dispute Resolution?
Inland Fair Housing and Mediation Board provides free mediation services for small claims and unlawful detainer actions in the Rancho Cucamonga, San Bernardino, Fontana, Chino, Victorville and Barstow courts. This is a free service funded through the Alternative Dispute Resolution Program by the County of San Bernardino Superior Court System that gives litigants the opportunity to meet with a neutral third party mediator on the day of the court hearing. This is a last good faith effort to negotiate resolution to the dispute and avoid trial.
What are the advantages of mediation?
- Both sides can win to some degree
- Over 60% of the cases mediated are settled without trial
- Parties can leave early if they settle
- Payment plans can be implemented
- Parties do not lose their rights to trial if they do not settle
- Parties can stipulate to agreements that are not recorded as judgments
- Mediation opens the door to resolution
Watch our video about Alternative Dispute Resolution
Have you used IFHMB’s mediation services in the San Bernardino County Court System? Please complete this brief survey about your experience and tell us how we did.
Mediation is also available outside of court:
In addition to the mediation services IFHMB provides in the courts of San Bernardino County, IFHMB also offers a Pre-Litigation Mediation Program, which is designed to offer lower income unrepresented individuals a less expensive alternative to filing a court case, or to allow the parties to a lawsuit the opportunity to resolve their dispute before their court date. Please visit the Pre-Litigation Mediation page for more details on this program.